And now for something completely different

A blog update?

Apparently these aren’t going to happen very regularly, but I’m determine to update at least once a month. Aside from trying to get over an annoying little head cold, I’ve been putting work into a few different things over the past month. Commissions, personal projects, and just the work involved in getting ready upcoming shows in October and November. To kick things off, here is my newest piece:

terracottabunnysmall8″ x 8″
gouache on watercolor paper

I was really inspired to do this piece after seeing a few other beautiful pieces by other illustrators, such as Emma Block’s travel drawings and Hannah Holmes’ surface designs.

I liked the idea of doing a nice garden scene with some plants in terracotta pots, but I really loved the thought of seeing them from above: a slightly unusual angle. And of course I had to throw a fat little rabbit in there as the star of the painting. I’m actually ridiculously proud with how this turned out, and when I compare it to my earlier pieces, I think it’s especially telling with how far I’ve come.

Something else (again, completely different) I took a bit of time to work on was this design:

parrot3

I applied for a job as a designer at a local screen printing shop and was given a design challenge to complete. Basically, I was meant to create a t-shirt design for an imaginary restaurant in an imaginary town, incorporating tropical elements and a feminine, vintage look. I was limited to three colors, plus the base color. They mentioned they liked my design very much, but I unfortunately did not get the job. It was interesting to create something so different than my usual, though, and I may recycle the border for something else later on.

Last but not least, in a quick bit of news, I have joined together with my cousin to work on a childrens’ book based on my postman rabbit. He’ll be writing the story, I’ll be illustrating. He’s been given complete control over the story, and I’m really looking forward to what ideas he can churn out involving this character. I’ll be sure to keep the updates on this endeavor coming!

Oh deer, oh deer.

It has been long suggested by family, friends, and every illustration help site out there that I start up a blog documenting my artwork and all the other stuff involved in making it. So here I am.

I don’t ordinarily have a whole lot to say so this could turn out to be dreadfully dull, but it’s worth a shot. I might get the hang of it, but If it doesn’t work out, I can always rededicate this blog to ridiculous A Song of Ice and Fire theories (have you heard the one about Roose Bolton being an Other? I can dig it.) It isn’t like there’s hundreds of those out there, am I right?

Anyway, if you’d like to get a grasp on who I am and what I do, please refer to the “about” and “porfolio” links on the menu above. This is what I’ve been working on over the past few days:

shelldeertransparentsmall

9″ x 12″
gouache on watercolor paper

My cousin will be getting married this coming November and asked me to create something to incorporate into her invitations. She’s going for a rustic sort of feel with lots and lots of sunflowers in her decorations. She was fond of a deer that I painted early last year and requested something that included just two things: a deer and sunflowers.

I personally really like compositions that use an oval or circular composition. I’m not sure why. They just always look nice to me. I thought something like that would look nice and work well topping an invitation. So I did some thumbnail sketches for her (which i have unfortunately misplaced), allowed her to choose and tell me what she wanted added or changed, and wound up with this:

michelledeer

I knew that I wanted to make sure this was bright and colorful so the details would be bold enough no matter how small she needed to make it for the invitation. All she requested was that the background behind the deer be gold.

For the sake of this blog, I also documented my progress (or tried to):

p1  p2p3 p4

I didn’t really have a whole lot of trouble with this piece. The sunflowers took awhile, about 4 hours in all, but everything else went pretty smoothly. My cousin loves it and says it fits what she imagined perfectly, so that’s good. A success!